Lucia Pelosini MD, MRCSEd, FRCOphth
Ophthalmology – Cataract surgery, Corneal and external eye disease, Diabetic eye disease
Ms Pelosini is one of only a handful of Consultant Surgeons in the UK who is dual fellowship trained in Cornea & Anterior Segment and Medical Retina.
She has conducted innovative research in macular imaging and novel sub-threshold laser treatment for diabetes and is regularly invited to present academic papers in national and international meetings.
Ms Pelosini enjoys skiing in the winter; she is a keen gardener and plays tennis regularly. She enjoys classical music and attends the theatre and opera productions regularly. An Italian cooking enthusiast, she also plays piano in her free time.
Education & Training
Lucia qualified from Pisa University Medical School with Honours in 1999. She completed her postgraduate training in Ophthalmology in London South Thames Training Programme working in a number of leading hospitals including King’s College Hospital and Guy’s & St Thomas’ Hospital.
She then completed a Research Fellowship in Medical Retina at Moorfields Eye Hospital and obtained a MD (Doctorates of Medicine) Research degree at the University of London.
Ms Pelosini also then completed her training with a Fellowship in Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery at the Western Eye Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust in London.
Lucia then continued her studies at Ulster University – Royal College of Ophthalmology Cataract and Refractive Surgery, where she graduated with a PostDip CRS Postgraduate Diploma.
Interests & Specialty
- New surgical techniques for cataract surgery
- New treatments for Macular Oedema
- Ocular imaging with optical coherence tomography
Special Clinical Interests:
- Small incision cataract surgery with premium lenses
- Refractive lens exchange
- Implantable contact lenses
- Modern lamellar keratoplasty
- Keratoconus management including intracorneal rings and collagen cross-linking
- External eye disease
- Medical retina
- Diabetic retinopathy and
- Age-related macular degeneration
Ms Pelosini has been an examiner for King’s College London Medical School and an international instructor for Retinal imaging with Optical Coherence Tomography.
Follow Lucia on LinkedIn…
- Winner – Best Poster Presentation Prize at the Royal Society of Medicine Ophthalmology Annual Meeting in 2009, 2010 and 2012
- Winner – Robert Hardwick Postgraduate Innovation Prize at Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust in 2012
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Member of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Member of the British Society of Refractive Surgery
- Member of the British Medical Association
- Hoffman JJ, L. Pelosini Telephone follow-up for Cataract surgery: feasibility and patient satisfaction study. Int J Health Care Qual Assur. 2016 May 9; 29 (4): 407-16
- Hoffman JJ, L. Pelosini What happens when one leaves soft contacts lenses in for three weeks? A case of bilateral. Severe pseudomanus Keratitis from contact lenses purchased over the internet. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2016 Aug; 39 (4): 318-20
- Kirthi V, Tavare AN, Hoffman J, Pelosini L. A case of presumed post-traumatic pneumocephalus. BMJ Case Rep. 2015 Oct 29.
- L Pelosini, HB Smith, JB Schofield, A Meeckings, A Dhital, M Khandwala. A novel imaging approach to periocular basal cell carcinoma: in vivo optical coherence tomography and histological correlates. Eye (Lond). 2015;29(8): 1092-98.
- L Pelosini, HB Smith, JB Schofield, A Meeckings, A Dhital, M Khandwala. In Vivo optical coherence tomography (OCT) in periocular basal cell carcinoma: correlations between in vivo OCT images and postoperative histology. Br J Ophthalmol 2013 July;97(7):890-4.
- L Pelosini, R Hamilton, M Mohamed, AP Hamilton, J Marshall. Retina rejuvenation therapy for diabetic macular oedema: a pilot study. Retina 2013, March;33(3):548-58.
- ST Nagendran, C Pawlyn, M Brown, L Pelosini. Crystalline keratopathy associated with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance. Br J Haematol 2012;159(3):258.
- L Pelosini, CC Hull, JF Boyce, D McHugh, M Stanford, J Marshall. Author response: predictors of visual acuity in macular oedema. IOVS 2012;53(2):924.
- L Pelosini, CC Hull, JF Boyce, D McHugh, M Stanford, J Marshall. Optical coherence tomography may be used to predict visual acuity in patients with macular oedema. IOVS 2011;52(5):2741-8.
- SN Rajak, MD Mohamed, L Pelosini. Further insight into west african crystalline maculopathy. Arch Ophthalmol 2009;127(7):863-8.
- B Gupta, J Grewal, T Adewoyin, L Pelosini, TH Williamson. Diurnal variation of macular oedema in CRVO: prospective study. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2009;247(5):593-6.
- L Pelosini, S Treffene, EJ Hollick. Antibacterial activity of preservative-free topical anaesthetic drops in current use in ophthalmology departments. Cornea 2009;28(1):58-61.
- L Pelosini, EC Richardson, R Goel, C Hugkulstone. Intraoperative breakage of the mushroom manipulator tip during phacoemulsification. Eye. 2006;20(12):1451-2.
- L Abu-Safieh. EN Vithana, I Mantel, G Holder, L Pelosini, AC Bird, SS Bhattacharya. A large deletion in the adRP gene PRPF31: evidence that haploinsufficiency is the cause of disease. Mol Vis 2006;12:384-8.
- EN Vithana, L Abu-Safieh, L Pelosini, E Winchester, D Hornan, AC Bird, DM Hunt, SA Bustin, SS Bhattacharya. Expression of PRPF31 mRNA in patients with autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa: a molecular clue for incomplete penetrance? IOVS 2003,44:4204-4209.