Lucia Pelosini MD, MRCSEd, FRCOphth
Ophthalmology - Cataract surgery, Corneal and external eye disease, Diabetic eye disease
Miss Pelosini is one of only a handful of Consultant Surgeons in the UK who is dual fellowship trained in Cornea & Anterior Segment and Medical Retina.
Ms Pelosini qualified from Pisa University Medical School with Honours in 1999. She completed her postgraduate training in ophthalmology in London South Thames Training Programme working in a number of leading hospitals including King’s College Hospital and Guy’s & St Thomas’ Hospital.
She completed a Research Fellowship in Medical Retina at Moorfields Eye Hospital and obtained an MD Research degree at the University of London.
She completed her training with a Fellowship in Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery at the Western Eye Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust in London.
Ms Pelosini is the author of over 20 peer review publications and book chapters. She is regularly invited to speak and moderate research sessions in national and international meetings. She is an invited reviewer for major international journals in her field.
Ms Pelosini has been an examiner for King’s College London Medical School and an international instructor for retinal imaging with optical coherence tomography. She has conducted innovative research in macular imaging and novel sub-threshold laser treatment for diabetes.
Aside from her professional interests, Ms Pelosini enjoys time with her husband and two young daughters; she is a keen gardener, plays tennis and piano.
Interests & Specialty
Subspecialty within main Clinical Specialty:
- Small incision cataract surgery
- Corneal and external disease
- Medical Retina and Diabetes
- New surgical techniques for cataract surgery
- New treatments for Macular Oedema
- Ocular imaging with optical coherence tomography
Special Clinical Interests:
- Small incision cataract surgery with premium lenses
- Refractive lens exchange
- Implantable contact lenses
- Modern lamellar keratoplasty
- Keratoconus management including intracorneal rings and collagen cross-linking
- External eye disease
- Medical retina
- Diabetic retinopathy and
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Member of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Member of the British Society of Refractive Surgery
- Member of the British Medical Association
- Kirthi V, Tavare AN, Hoffman J, Pelosini L. A case of presumed post-traumatic pneumocephalus. BMJ Case Rep. 2015 Oct 29.
- L Pelosini, HB Smith, JB Schofield, A Meeckings, A Dhital, M Khandwala. A novel imaging approach to periocular basal cell carcinoma: in vivo optical coherence tomography and histological correlates. Eye (Lond). 2015;29(8): 1092-98.
- L Pelosini, HB Smith, JB Schofield, A Meeckings, A Dhital, M Khandwala. In Vivo optical coherence tomography (OCT) in periocular basal cell carcinoma: correlations between in vivo OCT images and postoperative histology. Br J Ophthalmol 2013 July;97(7):890-4.
- L Pelosini, R Hamilton, M Mohamed, AP Hamilton, J Marshall. Retina rejuvenation therapy for diabetic macular oedema: a pilot study. Retina 2013, March;33(3):548-58.
- ST Nagendran, C Pawlyn, M Brown, L Pelosini. Crystalline keratopathy associated with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance. Br J Haematol 2012;159(3):258.
- L Pelosini, CC Hull, JF Boyce, D McHugh, M Stanford, J Marshall. Author response: predictors of visual acuity in macular oedema. IOVS 2012;53(2):924.
- L Pelosini, CC Hull, JF Boyce, D McHugh, M Stanford, J Marshall. Optical coherence tomography may be used to predict visual acuity in patients with macular oedema. IOVS 2011;52(5):2741-8.
- SN Rajak, MD Mohamed, L Pelosini. Further insight into west african crystalline maculopathy. Arch Ophthalmol 2009;127(7):863-8.
- B Gupta, J Grewal, T Adewoyin, L Pelosini, TH Williamson. Diurnal variation of macular oedema in CRVO: prospective study. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2009;247(5):593-6.
- L Pelosini, S Treffene, EJ Hollick. Antibacterial activity of preservative-free topical anaesthetic drops in current use in ophthalmology departments. Cornea 2009;28(1):58-61.
- L Pelosini, EC Richardson, R Goel, C Hugkulstone. Intraoperative breakage of the mushroom manipulator tip during phacoemulsification. Eye. 2006;20(12):1451-2.
- L Abu-Safieh. EN Vithana, I Mantel, G Holder, L Pelosini, AC Bird, SS Bhattacharya. A large deletion in the adRP gene PRPF31: evidence that haploinsufficiency is the cause of disease. Mol Vis 2006;12:384-8.
- EN Vithana, L Abu-Safieh, L Pelosini, E Winchester, D Hornan, AC Bird, DM Hunt, SA Bustin, SS Bhattacharya. Expression of PRPF31 mRNA in patients with autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa: a molecular clue for incomplete penetrance? IOVS 2003,44:4204-4209.