Saj Khan M.B.B.S (London), FRCSEd (Ophth)
Ophthalmology – Laser Lens Replacement LLR, Cataract surgery, LASIK Laser Eye Surgery, PRK, YAG Capsulotomy, Dry Eye and Keratoconus Treatments
Having undergone laser eye surgery himself, Mr Khan understands the nerves and is able to empathise with his patients’ anxieties and concerns. He has frequently received positive reviews and recommendations from patients specifically because of his ability to put them at ease with their surgical procedures.
Mr Saj Khan specialises in cornea, cataract and both laser and lens based vision correction surgery. As one of UK’s earliest users of femtosecond laser technology, he has an established interest in its application in ophthalmic surgery. He regularly performs cataract surgery using femtosecond laser, keratoconus treatments including corneal collagen cross-linking and intracorneal rings, implantable contact lenses (ICL), and advanced dry eye treatments.
His basic ophthalmic surgical training was in the South Thames region, including St Thomas’ Hospital, and higher surgical training in the North Thames region, including Great Ormond Street Hospital and Moorfields Eye Hospital. He then went on to undertake a fellowship (advanced subspecialty training) in cataract, cornea and refractive surgery at the world renowned Corneo Plastic Unit in East Grinstead. Mr Khan worked as a Locum NHS Consultant at the Corneo Plastic Unit from 2008 to 2014.
Education & Training
- FRCSEd(Ophth) (2007) Royal College of Ophthalmologists (2007)
- MRCSEd (Ophth) (2001) Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
- M.B.B.S (1994) United Medical and Dental Schools of Guys’ and St Thomas’ Hospitals (UMDS), London
After graduating from the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guys and St Thomas’ Hospitals (UMDS), Mr Khan initially underwent general training with a view to becoming a GP before deciding on a career in Ophthalmology. He trained at St. Thomas’ Hospital, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children, Moorfields Eye Hospital and the Corneo-plastic Unit and Eye Bank in East Grinstead where he undertook fellowship training in cataract, corneal and refractive surgery.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Member of the British Medical Association
- Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Member of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Member of the International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Member of the Eye Bank Association of America
- Member of the Association of Ophthalmologists (AOO)
- Council Member of the United Kingdom & Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Council Member of British Society of Refractive Surgery
- Almousa R, Samaras KE, Khan S, Lake DB, Daya SM. Femtosecond laser-assisted lamellar keratoplasty (FSLK) for anterior corneal stromal diseases. Int Ophthalmol. 2014 Feb;34(1):49-58. doi: 10.1007/s10792-013-9794-7. Epub 2013 May 24.
- Sally Hayes, PhD; Saj Khan, MD; Craig Boote, PhD; et al. Depth Profile Study of Abnormal Collagen Orientation in Keratoconus Corneas. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012;130(2):251–252. doi:10.1001/archopthalmol.2011.1467
- Lake D, Hamada S, Khan S, Daya SM. Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty over penetrating keratoplasty for host rim thinning and ectasia. Cornea. 2009 Jun;28(5):489-92. doi: 10.1097/ICO.0b013e31818d3b3c