Lucia Pelosini MD, MRCSEd, FRCOphth
Ophthalmology - Cataract surgery, Corneal and external eye disease, Diabetic eye disease
Ms Pelosini is one of only a handful of Consultant Surgeons in the UK who is dual fellowship trained in Cornea & Anterior Segment and Medical Retina. Currently working as a Substantive Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon in Corneal and Anterior Segment at King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Education & Training
Lucia qualified from Pisa University Medical School with Honours in 1999. She completed her postgraduate training in Ophthalmology in London South Thames Training Programme working in a number of leading hospitals including King’s College Hospital and Guy’s & St Thomas’ Hospital.
She then completed a Research Fellowship in Medical Retina at Moorfields Eye Hospital and obtained a MD (Doctorates of Medicine) Research degree at the University of London.
Ms Pelosini also then completed her training with a Fellowship in Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery at the Western Eye Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust in London.
Lucia then continued her studies at Ulster University – Royal College of Ophthalmology Cataract and Refractive Surgery, where she graduated with a PostDip CRS Postgraduate Diploma.
Interests & Specialty
- New surgical techniques for cataract surgery
- New treatments for Macular Oedema
- Ocular imaging with optical coherence tomography
Special Clinical Interests:
- Small incision cataract surgery with premium lenses
- Refractive lens exchange
- Implantable contact lenses
- Modern lamellar keratoplasty
- Keratoconus management including intracorneal rings and collagen cross-linking
- External eye disease
- Medical retina
- Diabetic retinopathy and
- Age-related macular degeneration
Ms Pelosini has been an examiner for King’s College London Medical School and an international instructor for Retinal imaging with Optical Coherence Tomography.
Follow Lucia on LinkedIn...
- Winner – Best Poster Presentation Prize at the Royal Society of Medicine Ophthalmology Annual Meeting in 2009, 2010 and 2012
- Winner – Robert Hardwick Postgraduate Innovation Prize at Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust in 2012
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Member of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Member of the British Society of Refractive Surgery
- Member of the British Medical Association
- Hoffman JJ, L. Pelosini Telephone follow-up for Cataract surgery: feasibility and patient satisfaction study. Int J Health Care Qual Assur. 2016 May 9; 29 (4): 407-16
- Hoffman JJ, L. Pelosini What happens when one leaves soft contacts lenses in for three weeks? A case of bilateral. Severe pseudomanus Keratitis from contact lenses purchased over the internet. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2016 Aug; 39 (4): 318-20
- Kirthi V, Tavare AN, Hoffman J, Pelosini L. A case of presumed post-traumatic pneumocephalus. BMJ Case Rep. 2015 Oct 29.
- L Pelosini, HB Smith, JB Schofield, A Meeckings, A Dhital, M Khandwala. A novel imaging approach to periocular basal cell carcinoma: in vivo optical coherence tomography and histological correlates. Eye (Lond). 2015;29(8): 1092-98.
- L Pelosini, HB Smith, JB Schofield, A Meeckings, A Dhital, M Khandwala. In Vivo optical coherence tomography (OCT) in periocular basal cell carcinoma: correlations between in vivo OCT images and postoperative histology. Br J Ophthalmol 2013 July;97(7):890-4.
- L Pelosini, R Hamilton, M Mohamed, AP Hamilton, J Marshall. Retina rejuvenation therapy for diabetic macular oedema: a pilot study. Retina 2013, March;33(3):548-58.
- ST Nagendran, C Pawlyn, M Brown, L Pelosini. Crystalline keratopathy associated with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance. Br J Haematol 2012;159(3):258.
- L Pelosini, CC Hull, JF Boyce, D McHugh, M Stanford, J Marshall. Author response: predictors of visual acuity in macular oedema. IOVS 2012;53(2):924.
- L Pelosini, CC Hull, JF Boyce, D McHugh, M Stanford, J Marshall. Optical coherence tomography may be used to predict visual acuity in patients with macular oedema. IOVS 2011;52(5):2741-8.
- SN Rajak, MD Mohamed, L Pelosini. Further insight into west african crystalline maculopathy. Arch Ophthalmol 2009;127(7):863-8.
- B Gupta, J Grewal, T Adewoyin, L Pelosini, TH Williamson. Diurnal variation of macular oedema in CRVO: prospective study. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2009;247(5):593-6.
- L Pelosini, S Treffene, EJ Hollick. Antibacterial activity of preservative-free topical anaesthetic drops in current use in ophthalmology departments. Cornea 2009;28(1):58-61.
- L Pelosini, EC Richardson, R Goel, C Hugkulstone. Intraoperative breakage of the mushroom manipulator tip during phacoemulsification. Eye. 2006;20(12):1451-2.
- L Abu-Safieh. EN Vithana, I Mantel, G Holder, L Pelosini, AC Bird, SS Bhattacharya. A large deletion in the adRP gene PRPF31: evidence that haploinsufficiency is the cause of disease. Mol Vis 2006;12:384-8.
- EN Vithana, L Abu-Safieh, L Pelosini, E Winchester, D Hornan, AC Bird, DM Hunt, SA Bustin, SS Bhattacharya. Expression of PRPF31 mRNA in patients with autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa: a molecular clue for incomplete penetrance? IOVS 2003,44:4204-4209.